BRAIN IMAGING IN FREELY MOVING ANIMALS
Whether you’re an experienced electrophysiologist or a savvy brain imaging expert,
nVista HD will complement your research program. nVista HD enables:
LARGE FIELD OF VIEW WITH SINGLE-CELL RESOLUTION
Visualize and record population-scale neural activity
with cellular resolution in pre-determined cell types.
ROBUST LOGITUDINAL STUDIES
Perform chronic imaging studies in freely behaving subjects.
NATURAL ANIMAL BEHAVIOR
Plug into standard behavioral assays to perform
time-locked imaging and behavioral experiments.
Image any brain area, including deep brain structures and surface brain regions.
Use the latest, fastest genetically-encoded Ca2+ indicators.
|Recording Technology||Large-scale neural dynamics?||Cellular resolution?||Cell type specific?||Longitudinal studies of same cells?||Deep brain regions?||Freely behaving?|
|Inscopix nVista HD||x||x||x||x||x||x|
PAIRING WITH EEG
Figure 1. The vigilance state of the animal was determined using EEG (red trace, bottom) and EMG recordings while imaging CA1 of the hippocampus. Using Mosaic analysis software, independent cellular signals (white circles) were detected and identified using PCA-ICA algorithms. The calcium dynamics of each individual neuron were examined across time and condition (i.e. non-REM sleep vs awake). The time-locked calcium dynamics of six sample neurons (colored traces) are plotted to demonstrate the effect of vigilance state on sub-network function.
Figure 2. The activity of a mouse in an open field was tracked and the instantaneous velocity (bottom, blue line) was calculated from the positional data while imaging CA1 of the hippocampus. The calcium events of all imaged neurons (middle) and the time-locked calcium dynamics of 6 sample neurons (top) are plotted in order to observe the effect of locomotion on subnetwork functioning.
nVista HD is the first end-to-end solution for visualizing large-scale neural circuit dynamics in freely behaving animals. Taking advantage of our core miniature microscope technology, neuroscientists can ask entirely new questions about how neural circuits shape behavior.
MASS 2 g
DIMENSIONS 11 mm x 14 mm x 20 mm
MODALITY Single-channel epifluorescence
EXCITATION 475/10 nm (blue)
COLLECTION 535/50 nm (green)
CABLE LENGTH 2.5 m
MAXIMUM FIELD OF VIEW 1440 pixels x 1080 pixels; 900 μm x 650 μm
TEMPORAL RESOLUTION 30 fps at full field of view with USB 3.0
The data acquisition hardware is built to seamlessly integrate with current behavioral assays.
With a size and weight equivalent to two decks of cards, it is easy to set up in any laboratory environment.
- Compact, durable, and portable data acquisition hardware enables streaming of HD videos in real time.
- Digital I/O ports facilitate hardware synchronization, event tracking, and multidimensional analyses of circuit activity.
- Data acquisition module connects directly to your computer via USB; no external power supply required.
DATA ACQUISITION SOFTWARE
Our Data Acquisition Software puts the power of nVista HD in your hands. Adjust the microscope settings, set your desired field of view, select regions of interest and start your imaging experiments!
- Preview data with live ΔF/F visualization
- Automate experiments with customizable recording schedules
- Save data in a compressed or non-compressed format (HDF5 or multi-stack TIFF)
DATA ANALYSIS SUITE: MOSAIC BETA
Cutting edge data requires cutting edge data analysis tools. Mosaic Beta is a modular data analysis suite which enables you to process images and movies of large-scale neural activity imaging data. Apply spatial and temporal downsampling to speed up data processing, as well as these powerful features:
- Correct for the effects of motion in the brain during imaging
- Detect independent cellular signals using combined
- Visualize and export the dynamics of individual cells
Introduce genetically-encoded calcium indicators to neuronal populations of interest using viral and/or transgenic technologies. Make sure to allow sufficient time for expression of the delivered transgene before proceeding to the next step.
Surgically position the lens probe directly above labeled cells. The lens probe can be surgically positioned in the brain, either inside a windowed cannula or inserted directly (as shown).
Position the nVista HD system microscope above the lens probe. Fine-tune the alignment to optimize image quality and preserve it by affixing the microscope baseplate to the skull.
A. Microscope Baseplate
B. Microscope Objective
C. Acrylic Wall
D. Lens Probe
After installing the nVista HD system, the microscope can be easily attached for repeated imaging of the same large-scale neural circuit in a freely behaving rodent. The microscope can be easily attached and detached to perform chronic imaging studies.
At Inscopix, we stand ready to help our clients accelerate their research efforts to better understand the brain in action. Included with your nVista HD system package, the nVista HD Support Program provides researchers with access to:
- Our Inscopix Online Community, an ever growing repository of application support videos, notes, and user guides focused on the nVista HD system. Learn about system operation, maintenance, and access detailed experimental protocols.
- Priority technical and scientific support via phone and email.
- Free nVista HD acquisition software upgrades.
Inscopix Care is a unique warranty and support program that provides extensive warranty coverage, value-add scientific support, and exclusive access to discounted hardware and software upgrades. This unparalleled support and warranty program ensures minimal downtime between experiments, safeguards against unexpected maintenance costs, and helps pave a path toward quality, reproducible data sets. Your one-year subscription to Inscopix Care will include:
- Free repairs and/or replacements for any hardware damage, whether caused by user, animal, or unknown.
- In-depth technical and application science support, including continued access to all nVista HD Support Program and Inscopix Community resources.
- Priority access to new products and special pricing.